Recovering From a Sport Injury
When people think of chiropractic treatments, a lot of different impressions come to mind. Most probably think techniques chiropractors utilize to help those that suffer from back and neck pain; typically a result of whiplash from a car accident. While whiplash is a common reason that we see many of our patients at Sweetgrass Health & Wellness in Mount Pleasant, SC another very frequent reason for patients of all ages to walk through the door is sports injuries.
Common Sports Injuries
Injuries can happen to anyone who is physically active in Mount Pleasant, be it a kid playing football for their school's team, or one of their parents who plays in a softball league after work. We treat everyone here at Sweetgrass Health and Wellness, and we utilize many techniques to help alleviate the pain from injuries in our patients.
Some of the injuries we help treat include:
- Sprains and Strains
- Knee Injuries
- Runners Shin Splints
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Tennis or Golfer's Elbow, and other repetitive motion injuries
Common Treatment Techniques Used by Chiropractors
Treatment options are chosen based on your personal comfort and preferences. At Sweetgrass Health & Wellness we use a range of both high velocity and gentle techniques.
Some of the high-velocity techniques include:
- Diversified Technique - a short and quick thrust over restricted joints to help restore range of motion.
- Gonstead Adjustment - similar to diversified, but uses specialized tables and chairs to assist with proper body positioning
- Drop Technique - specialized tables that encourage a high-velocity thrust as pieces of the table move.
Some patients need or prefer a gentle approach to treating their sports injury. Patients with sensitive nervous systems, osteoporosis, or those with severe pain typically require these techniques.
- Activator- a handheld tool that provides a low force impulse while the patient lays relaxed on a table
- Cox Flexion distraction - a gentle adjustment made by stretching lower spine in rocking type movements
- Toggle Drop - sections of table drop and are used in combination with gentle pressure to apply an adjustment
Other Ways a Chiropractor Can Aid the Healing
Chiropractors can perform a variety of treatment options a sports injury that is not considered to be a high velocity or gentle technique.
Some of these include:
- Non-surgical spinal decompression - a specialized table to stretch the spine
- Kinesio Taping - specialized taping of the skin allows for reduced swelling, provides support, and improves circulation for athletes
- Massage Therapy- improves circulation, tissue healing, reduces stress and helps heal scar tissue
- Rehabilitation exercises and nutrition counseling - designed to help patients learn to avoid re-injury.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Our team at Sweetgrass Health & Wellness in Mount Pleasant, SC is committed to finding the right treatment method that can help you get back your mobility, reduce pain, and get you back in the game. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact us at (843) 971-0540.